my sister requested cupcakes-in-a-cone for her birthday treat, and since I enjoy baking her gluten-free desserts, I really enjoyed making these!
I just used Pamela's Classic Vanilla Cake Mix (I do not do well trying to blend my own gf flours, fyi), made the 4 egg version, and added extra vanilla. she requested that rainbow chip frosting, but next time I'm making my own, I don't care what she says! hehe.
instead of baking the cupcakes in the cone, I baked two trays of regular cupcakes (she didn't think anyone else would enjoy the gluten free cones... ahem... so I only made three cone ones), and selected 3 cupcakes for the cones. I cut the tops off and cut the bottom part in two. I put a spoonful of chocolate frosting in the bottom of the cone, then pressed the two halves down inside. they fit perfectly! then I put another spoonful of chocolate frosting on top of that and glued the top on, kind of tucking in the edges around the sides of the cone. frosting + sprinkles, et voila!
can't forget a cherry on top! I think they turned out pretty cute, if I do say so myself ;) nothing too fancy, but people who eat gluten-free really appreciate things like this, and I'm happy to oblige.
now if I can just get over the fact my youngEST sister is 25... *faints*




You did such a great job! I think it was a good call not to bake the cakes inside the cones. I've heard that doesn't always turn out well. These look adorable!
ReplyDeleteHave you tried any of the gluten free cones? I always wonder how different gluten free foods are from regular ones.
aw, thanks Beckie! I read a lot (a LOT) of comments about in cone methods v. stuffing... and it just seemed a better idea. :) I didn't try the cones, but I have eaten lots of gf foods over the years. some are really quite good, some... not so much ;P for some reason, many things instantly taste metallic to me -- I can't handle that! I did eat one (or two ;)) of the cupcakes and they were pretty good, though :)
ReplyDelete