October 10, 2012

oh yeah, I have a blog.

lately I just feel so overwhelmed*. work, home, online, etc. I just don't know what I want to "do" anymore. I just feel like I need a complete life overhaul but that seems so daunting so instead I will just do nothing. I try to do baby steps but it is one step forward, two steps back.

online, I've pretty much dropped out of flickr (I barely use my camera anymore). I closed my facebook (way too annoying). I read but don't comment on a lot of blogs. I do like instagram, ravelry, and twitter still. oh and tumblr, because it is pretty mindless.

I simultaneously feel like I have a ton of stuff to say and nothing to say. so I don't blog. I miss old blogs - ones that weren't filled with sponsored products and reviews or 394708 comments that no one reads or having to make tutorials or photograph your perfect life to get readers. yeah, I'm lamenting for 2002's internet: pre-twitter, pre-flickr, pre-facebook. if I don't enjoy blogging anymore, why do I still feel like I need to come here and say so? good question.

*"I know you can be overwhelmed and you can be underwhelmed...but can you ever just be whelmed?"


5 comments:

  1. I understand all that you are saying here. I was just remarking to someone the other day about how I missed online diaries -- before the work "blog" was populated. I had a Diaryland.com account and I LOVED IT. I wrote all the time then. Before constant updates and the pressure to constantly stay in touch online, when being online was magical... haha. Do I sound old yet??

    Also, I am pro-"10 Things I Hate About You" quoting. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really update my Flickr anymore, except when I post something from Instagram, haha. And I'm really behind on updating Ravelry...and I rarely post things on Facebook but I do comment/like other people's stuff...

    I soooo know what you mean about old school blogs--as much as I love Twitter, it really has replaced what we used to use our personal blogs for back in the day. It's weird, but in some ways, I feel like people were more connected before this thing called "social media" existed. I'll blog about books or knitting now, but I refuse to try to make it one of those lifestyle blogs with all these perfect photos, as you mentioned!

    Having said all that...I miss your blog posts and always perk up when I see you've updated! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brenda just said today, "I always tell people, 'If blogging isn't fun, then don't do it.'"

    I'm glad you're still around online at least a few places, though. :-) I'd miss you if you weren't!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also don't update Flickr. I didn't renew my Pro account, I don't think, just because I'm over it there.

    I absolutely hate how blogging's become this whole different thing; it's not about writing or sharing anymore, it's about sponsors and giveaways and gaining readers and making money and ads and and and... I don't like any of this. What happened to having a blog just to write? I sometimes feel inadequate because i don't have a fancy camera and don't take perfect pictures. It's ridiculous and I miss those days too. I'll write more if you do too :)

    Also, I agree with Tiffany in that I felt much more connected to people through blogging than I do through Twitter, as much as I love Twitter. This is why I want to get back into blogging more! I miss reading blogs of people I like who aren't concerned with being internet famous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could not agree more! There's just so much connectivity these days ... and I have such ennui toward Flickr these days. I didn't renew my pro account in June and have no interest in doing so.

    I have no answers ... just ... I commiserate with ya.

    ReplyDelete