February 3, 2011

accent video!

I first saw this over at susannahbean (and loved listening to her accent b/c it sounds so familiar - that's what I grew up with all around me!), but after I saw it over at bethanyactually, I wanted to do one too.

I was born in California (lived there until I was 7ish), grew up in northern Illinois, and have lived in the mid-south (Kentucky* and Tennessee) for almost 9 years now. when you hear my voice you will be surprised to hear that I have actually *toned down* my accent in my everyday speech haha! I kind of perked it up a little for the video though, b/c when I am really being myself I do talk in a very Illinois accent... but when I'm at work and such, people don't respond to me very well if I sound like a yankee... and that is the truth!

I went to my mom's to do this video and told her if she wouldn't leave the room, she had to be in it... so... she is in it for the second part. :)



this was fun to do, having lived in two very different areas of the US, accents & linguistics have interested me for a long time -- I'm always asking people how they say this or that - or what they call things. it's really interesting!

the question about fizzy drinks got to me b/c the last time I was in Illinois -- land of POP! I called it soda at a restaurant, completely naturally and without hesitation... it was then I knew I had really adapted to life in the south!

I think we should pronounce Louisville, bag, awesome, and socks as well. I got a lot of teasing for the way I said socks when I first moved to Nashville!

*when I lived in Kentucky, I worked as a receptionist at a car dealership... I honestly got such a strong accent that my sister didn't recognize my voice when she called me at work once. I can do many different southern accents, but I feel like it's not who I am so I stick to my northern one, now :) also, many people in Kentucky have very, very strong accents even though they are further north than Tennessee. just fyi ;)

6 comments:

  1. hehehe that's awesome! You and your mom are so cute :) I need to do this video!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! I'm from Tennessee, but I loooove Midwestern accents. My accent comes and goes here in VA, but I definitely still use Southernisms. Also, you're totally right - a group of older Nashville ladies would be totally flummoxed if you greeted them with "hey guys!" You and your mom are so funny. :D

    (Rain while the sun shines is called "the devil beating his wife," apparently, but I never heard that until I was an adult.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your actual voice sounds nothing like the voice I'd assigned to you in my head...but I like your actual voice more than your imaginary voice! :-) You kinda sound like me, actually. Right down to groshery store. And I love that you go Krogering.

    I had the same thing happen to me with pop/soda, sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiffany, hehe thanks -- we are dorks! I'm glad you did one of these!!

    Nina, you should do one of these too! yeah, I definitely have to watch it at work, and on the phone too -- I try to at least sound more neutral ;)

    bethany, is my voice more NASALLY than you could have ever expected?? (that's how it sounds to me, haha!) when we watched your vid my mom said you sounded almost like us! I always say I'm going Krogering :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. kc, for some reason I imagined your voice would be softer and more soprano, when you're definitely an alto. I have often been told, "Your voice is deeper than I thought it would be." Maybe because I'm blond and short people expect me to have a little voice, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i've been meaning to do one of these videos FOREVER and i keep forgetting about it.
    i live in ohio and almost everybody says pop! i say it sometimes but i usually say soda.
    i just subscribed to your blog through my google reader. thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete