September 13, 2010

from the (flickr) archives

my grandma recently took up oil painting. it's something she's always wanted to do. never mind that the woman could sew anything under the sun, makes beautiful quilts, volunteers to teach English to some sweet Chinese children that live near her, and does work for the library :) she thinks she has no talent (hmm I see a familiar trait here), but she does. she asked if I had any photos that she could paint from since she couldn't find any in magazines or calendars. I've been digging deep into my many, many flickr photos for her and it's reminded me of *why* I love photography and the luxury digital photography is to me. not the artsy stuff, not the really trying to make something great, but honestly? just snapshots of life.

I always say I have a bad memory, but I really do. as I look through the nearly 5,000* pictures I've posted to flickr since 2005, it is taking me back to times I literally would not remember if not for the photographic proof.





My Feet at the Beach
edge of the woods whoops

memories... like the corner of my miiiind... misty water-colored memmmmmmories... of the way we werrrrre...

sorry got carried away there for a second. also? I mostly only know that song (and um, that one line) b/c of the movie Big.

anyway, I am not a world traveler. I'm not a party person. I don't have a crazy career. I don't have many adventures. I don't have adorable children, or even pets. but, I have seen some beautiful things and places. I make things with my own two hands. the people in my life are pretty darn great. and I have a lot of photos to remind me of that. :)

*not to mention the thousands I've never uploaded...

3 comments:

  1. Holy moly, 5,000 is a lot of pics! But in a good way :)

    haha, I learned that song from Big, too...'scattered PICtures...' hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only have you seen some beautiful places and made beautiful things, you are one of the best photographers I know when it comes to capturing small moments and little pieces of beauty. :-) I'm with you, thank God for digital photography! I happen to have a good memory, but it's greatly enhanced by all the photos I take!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiffany, I know. you better catch up ;) I love the movie Big! :)

    Bethany, aw, thanks for such a nice comment :) it's going to be really great someday when it will be so easy for Annalie (and baby) to look back on their childhood :)

    ReplyDelete